Member recipe by ijhawkins
Teisen Lap (cake on a plate) is a shallow moist cake - cooked on a plate!
- 8 oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 4 oz margarine (a mixture of lard and butter was traditionally used)
- 7 oz sugar
- 8 oz currants
- 3 eggs
- Pre-heat the oven 180oC, gas mark 4. Grease and flour a shallow 9Ã¢ÂÂ tin.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder and nutmeg.
- Add the sugar and fruit. Add the beaten eggs and mix well. You want a soft, dropping consistency so add as much milk as is needed.
- Put the mixture in the tin and cook for 20 minutes before lowering the temperature to 170oC, gas mark 3, for another 40 minutes or until firm.
- Cool, remove from tin and sprinkle with sugar. Store in an airtight container.