Chicken & Pesto lasagne
Member recipe by laurabow
- 1 pack skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 pack lardons, or streaky bacon
- 1 pack lasagne sheets (any colour)
- 1 Jar Green pesto
- 2 tubs ricotta cheese (For topping)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 Courgettes, cut lengthways into thin slices
- 1-2 bunches asparagus spears
- 1 large bag of spinach, washed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- N.B- If ricotta is unavailable, use a basic cheese sauce as the topping and use a good melting cheese to finish it off like mozarella.
- For the salad:
- Mixed leaves (strong flavoured)
- Artichokes (from a jar)
- Green Olives
- Roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- Cherry tomatoes
- olive oil & lemon juice to dress
- Toasted ciabatta rubbed with garlic to serve.
- This dish is also delicious as a vegetarian lasagne, just leave out the meat!
- Slice the chicken thighs into thin strips, removing any sinew or fat. Slice the lardons or bacon into chunks. Heat a frying pan with a little oil and fry the chicken and bacon until cooked through. Set aside in a dish to cool.
- In the pan, add a little more oil and sautee the chopped onion. Add the garlic and cook for another min. Add the cooked chicken and bacon, the jar of pesto, the white wine and a little water. Add the spinach and wilt. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 5. Using a large lasagne dish begin to assemble. Pour a layer of the chicken pesto mixture on the bottom. Add a layer of lasagne sheets. Add a layer of courgette strips and asparagus spears. Repeat the process until the dish is full. Cover with foil and bake in the middle of the heated oven for 35 mins.
- To prepare the topping mix the ricotta cheese with chopped basil, salt & pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Remove the lasagne from the oven, peel off the foil lid & discard. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture on the top. Sprinkle liberally with grated parmesan.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes uncovered until bubbling. Serve with the antipasti salad and toasted ciabatta rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with olive oil.