Member recipe by rach42x
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Pasties
- For the rough-puff pastry:
- 125g vegan butter
- 250g plain flour
- 5-6 tbsp water
- For the sauce:
- 25g vegan margarine
- 25g plain flour
- 150ml soya milk (plus extra to glaze)
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the filling:
- 200g tofu
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium potato
- 150g swede
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add small cubes of the vegan butter. Mix together roughly, without breaking up the chunks of butter.
- Add the water, 1 tbsp at a time and mix until a dough starts to form. Try not to squash the butter as much as possible. Work into a dough using your hands then rool out the dough on a floured surface until it is three times as long as it is wide. Fold in the top third of the pastry and then the bottom third and press firmly to seal the edges, then rotate 90 degrees and start again. Repeat this 3-4 times then leave to one side.
- Add the vegan margarine, flour, soya milk and seasoning into a clean saucepan and set to a medium heat. Keep stirring until everything has mixed together and then bring to the boil. Stir for another 2-3 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- While the sauce is cooling, dice the tofu, onion, potato and swede into small chunks and add to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the pepper over the filling and mix.
- When the sauce has cooled to room temperature, add the sauce to the mixing bowl of vegetables and stir to evenly coat the filling, then leave to one side.
- Roll out the rough-puff pastry so that the dough is no more than 5mm thick. Using a stencil, cut out circles of pastry that are 12cm in diameter.
- Place 1 tbsp of the filling mixture near to the middle of each pastry circle, just slightly off to one side. Then fold that larger side on top of the side containing the filling so that you get a semi-circular shaped pasty. Crimp the circular edge with a fork to seal.
- Transfer the pasties to a greased oven tray and brush each with a little soya milk to glaze.
- Put the pasties in the oven at 180 degrees C and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven tray onto a cooling rack then leave for at least 10 minutes before serving. Suitable to be eaten hot or cold.