Italian tomato sauce
Member recipe by phuddy48
- 3 Large Cloves of Garlic Finely chopped,
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
- 2 Tins Diced Tomatoes/ 10 Diced Tomatoes,
- 175ml Red Wine,
- Handful Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped, If dried 1 Tbsp,
- Handful Fresh Oregano, Finely Chopped, If dried 1 Tbsp,
- 2 Bay leaves,
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree,
- Heat the Olive oil in a Large frying pan/Skillet until very hot.
- Add onions and stir until soft and slightly brown.Turn down the heat and add the garlic and Red wine. Leave for 1-2 mins.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and bay leaves, turn the heat down and leave to simmer for approx 5 mins stirring occasionally. If using fresh tomatoes allow them to reduce slowly, this will take approx 20 mins.
- Once mixture has simmered add puree and stir in, simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Sauce can be refrigerated for use later on, If using for Pizza topping use a blender until smooth and spread on pizza using the back of a spoon. If using for bolognese, brown mince and add when ready.