Chocolate ice cream
Member recipe by chizylass
Rich chocolate ice cream: dark chocolate, cream, eggs. Simple. Faultless. Devastatingly delicious.
- 250g/9oz strong plain chocolate
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- 150g/5oz caster sugar
- 150ml/5fl oz water
- 4 large eggs, yolks only
- 500ml/17fl oz double cream
- Break up the chocolate and place with the unsalted butter in a warm-ish oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and stir until melted and blended together.
- Over a low heat dissolve the sugar in the water then turn up the heat and boil rapidly for a few minutes to get a light syrup. It's ready before the syrup takes any colour, when a little dropped on to a cold plate forms a thread when stretched between finger and thumb. Leave the mixture to cool for just a minute.
- Place the egg yolks in a basin and begin whisking (ideally with an electric whisk), trickling in the hot syrup as you go. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and mousse-like. Whisk in the cream. Then fold in the melted chocolate and butter until thoroughly blended. Then pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.