Winter Veg and Barley Soup
Member recipe by veganbrum
This healthy soup is brimming with goodness, but certainly won't leave you feeling deprived either.
- 40g butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks of thyme
- 100g pearl barley
- 75ml white wine
- 1.2ltr (2pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the butter in a pan and add all of the veg. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the veg has just started to soften.
- Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, pearl barley, white wine, stock and tomato puree. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and the pearl barley is soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalk and stir in the chopped parsley. season to taste and serve hot.