Member recipe by Danrowlinson
- 3 eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g SR (self-raising) flour
- 25g coco powder
- For the butter cream
- 50g butter
- 80g icing sugar
- 20g coco powder
- 20g extra icing sugar to decorate
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C or gas mark 7
- Perpare a flat tin with baking/parchment paper, without using grease
- Using an electric whisk, whisk eggs and caster sugar for at least 5 minutes until very thick and creamy (it should have changed in colour and size).
- Next, sieve the flour and coco powder onto the mixture (only enough as you need) then fold into the mixture with a large metal spoon. If you just stir it in then you will loose all the air you have whisked in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until it springs back when pressed down. (warning, opening the oven before 10 minutes will stop the log from rising).
- Now we are going to make the buttercream (you can use an electric whisk but i usually just use a fork), to do this we will put all the ingredients into a bowl and crush the butter against the side of the bowl until icing. You may need to use a drop of water or milk to do this.
- Now we will take the log out of the oven and trim it down to size.
- When it is sized transfer it to another piece of baking paper(sugared) and roll it up and leave to cool
- Finally unroll, spread on the buttercream, re-roll and sprinkle with icing sugar (and christmas decorations if you have any)