Light Lemon Sponge Cake
Member recipe by graceemma
This is a lemon sponge cake (two tiered) with lemon buttercream, named "light" because this is the comment I receive every time it's eaten
- 1 or 2 cake tins 8x8inch
- NOTE: If you make one cake it won't cut in half because the sponge is too soft, therefore you must make 2 separate cakes.
- For EACH cake/tier ~ you will need double these ingredients
- 100g softened butter (1/2 fat or light)
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 6tbsp whole/full fat milk
- 1 grated lemon rind
- For the Lemon Buttercream
- 55g butter (1/2 fat or light)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 2tspns grated lemon rind
- 250g icing sugar
- To decorate (optional)
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C/fan and then Grease or line the cake tin
- In a bowl add the ingredients FOR ONE TIER one by one in the order stated above, mixing as you go. Once the mixture is smooth (airy with a few bubbles is ok) pour it into the lined cake tin.
- Put the cake into the preheated oven for 15 mins, then take out and turn the tin around and put back in for another 18 mins. To test if the cake is cooked insert a tooth pick into the dome of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- It should be golden brown on top!
- Leave the cake to cool for about ten minutes in the tin then transfer onto a cooling rack for another 10-15. Repeat steps 1-6 for the second cake tier.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling prepare the buttercream;
- using a whisk, whisk the butter ,adding the icing sugar slowly, then when you've added all the icing sugar whisk in the lemon juice and rind.
- When the cakes have each cooled use a pallet knife ~ or flat knife~ to spread HALF of the buttercream onto ONE cake. Then carefully place the other cake on top (BEWARE OF ANY BUTTERCREAM SEEPING OUT THE SIDES)
- Use the remaining buttercream for the top of the cake then decorate with icing sugar and raspberries(optional)