Lemon roast chicken breasts
Member recipe by helenseamer
- For the garlic and chive mayonnaise
- 200g jar good quality mayonnaise
- small bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- For the chicken
- 6 large boneless chicken breasts skin on
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut in small chunky pieces
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 50g watercress sprigs to serve
- Up to 3 hours ahead: Tip all the ingredients for the garlic and chive mayonnaise into a bowl and stir to combine. Spoon into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Up to 1 hour before before serving: Brush the breasts with olive oil. Season both sides well with sea salt. Place a frying pan over a high heat until hot, then lay three breasts skin side down. Sear for 4-5 minutes until golden, then turn over and cook for 1 minute longer to sear the undersides. Transfer to a shallow roasting tray and repeat with the rest. Cover the tray with cling film and chill until needed.
- To cook and serve: Preheat the oven to 220C/gas7/fan 200C. Tuck the lemon pieces and bay leaves in among the chicken. Roast in the oven for 15 - 20 mins until the chicken feels firm to touch. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Put the breasts on a board and slice each diagonally into 3 or 4 pieces. Arrange in a serving dish, keeping the chicken pieces together, with the roasted lemon and watercress. Discard the bay leaves from the roasting tray and drizzle over any cooking juices. Serve with the mayonnaise.