Vegan Irish Tea Brack
Member recipe by lovlie
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Loave
Popular fruit loaf in Ireland, made with black tea. Here's a fat-free recipe.
- 100 g muscovado (or soft dark brown) sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
- 300 ml black tea (I brewed strong Lyons loose tea)
- 350 g mixed dried fruits (I used raisins, chopped dried apricots, prunes and dried cranberries, you can reduce the amount to 250g for a bit less fruit)
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 240 g flour (I used 75g wholewheat and the rest plain white)
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add dried fruits to hot tea. Dissolve in the sugar. Let soak for about 15 minutes.
- Mix baking powder and flour.
- Add liquid ingredients, stir and mix well.
- Add mash bananas.
- Pour into a loaf tin.
- Bake for 1h and 30 minutes (or until a metal skewer comes out clean). I baked this at 180 degrees Celsius for the first 20 minutes, then lowered to 160 degrees for the next 50 minutes, and then 170 degrees for the final 20 minutes. I turned off the oven and let it sit in there for another 10 minutes. (But do the fork test to see when yours is done. You might need less time...)
- Allow to cool before cutting.