Beef salad with cheese
Member recipe by paolo23
- 4 firm pears, peeled
- 600ml (1 pt) red wine
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 bunch watercress
- Handful of baby spinach
- 1 head chicory, broken into separate leaves
- 450g (1lb) rump steak
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 175g (6oz) Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the whole pears into a saucepan with the wine and sugar. Heat and simmer gently without a lid, turning the pears from time to time, until they are tender
- Carefully lift the pears from the reduced liquid and leave them to cool. Share the watercress, spinach and chicory between four serving plates or bowls.
- Preheat a char-grill pan or heavy-based frying pan. Brush the rump steak with one tablespoon olive oil, then char-grill or fry it over a high heat for two or three minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, cover with foil and leave to rest for five minutes.
- Cut the pears into quarters, removing the core. Arrange one pear on each salad. Slice the beef with a sharp knife, then share between the portions.
- Add the shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the salads along with a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Serve, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.