carrot & orange cupcakes
Member recipe by chizylass
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- 1 stick soft butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 small orange (zest + juice)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (slightly heaping)
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 oz walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mascarpone (10 oz)
- 4 to 5 tbsp confectioners sugar
- zest from 1 orange
- Wash, dry and grate the zest off of 1 orange and squeeze out the juice.
- Chop the walnuts but donÃ¢ÂÂt pulverize them too much. You can leave them out all together or replace them with a nut of choice. Nut of choice, that sounds kinda weird, I like it.
- Lightly beat two eggs. Use a big bowl to combine the soft butter (IÃ¢ÂÂm using salted butter), with the brown sugar and orange zest.
- Add 1 tbsp golden syrup (or honey). Man, that stuff is shiny, anything looking this pretty is bound to be really bad for your hips.
- Start mixing until itÃ¢ÂÂs a fluffy and creamy concoction.Slowly pour in the eggs while continuing to mix.
- Pour in the orange juice, add the grated carrot and walnuts and mix it all up. Sieve 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp five-spice powder over the butter mix. And stir it with a metal spoon.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill them with the batter. Bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven at 350F (180C) for 20 minutes. Until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. Let them cool off completely.
- Mascarpone, food of the Gods. Because mascarpone is already rather sweet and thick of itself, thereÃ¢ÂÂs no need to add loads of sugar or even butter. Use the mascarpone straight from the fridge. Grate the zest of one more orange and combine it with roughly 2 cups mascarpone (about 10 oz). Add 4 or 5 tbsp confectioners sugar and mix Ã¢ÂÂtil fluffy. Top the cupcakes with the mascarpone frosting and serve immediately.
- Take one bite of these and, like me, youÃ¢ÂÂll be a convert. TheyÃ¢ÂÂre really all that and a side of fries. Unless youÃ¢ÂÂre my kid, then you donÃ¢ÂÂt care about fries.