Caramelised Golden Delicious
Member recipe by ashleigh_red
South African Golden Delicious apples have a deep yellow skin and are very sweet to taste. They are available from February to October in major UK supermarkets.
- Baked rooibos tea cream
- 675ml pouring cream
- 2 rooibos tea bags
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 105g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Caramelised apples
- 2-3 South African Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 15g caster sugar
- Knob of butter
- Serve with: Lemon Sorbet
- For the baked rooibos tea cream, preheat the oven to 160ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C. Combine the cream, tea bags and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir occasionally until hot (5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat, cover and stand to infuse (1 hour).
- Whisk the sugar and yolks in a bowl until pale and creamy (3-4 minutes).
- Remove the tea bags and reheat the cream over a medium heat until hot, then gradually pour onto the yolk mixture, gently stirring to combine.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a jug, pressing to remove as many seeds as possible from the vanilla bean and discarding the bean afterwards.
- Stand for 5 minutes, and then skim the foam from the surface. Divide evenly among six 250ml ovenproof glasses.
- Place the glasses on a folded tea towel placed in a deep roasting pan, ensuring they are sitting level. Fill the pan with enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides of the glasses and cover with foil.
- Pierce a few holes in the foil with a skewer to release the steam, then bake until set, but with a slight wobble (30-35 minutes).
- Whilst the custards are baking,melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and add the apple. Sprinkle over the sugar and cook over a low heat, turning occasionally, until the apples are tender and golden brown.
- Remove the custards from the oven, remove the foil and stand in the water until cool (30-40 minutes). Remove from the water, dry the glasses and refrigerate until chilled and firm (2 hours). Divide the apples among the custards, top with lemon sorbet (if required) and serve immediately.