Posh macaroni cheese
Member recipe by leoniecourt
Creamy macaroni cheese with blue cheese, pancetta and a crispy topping.
- 250g macaroni
- 65g smoked pancetta cubes
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 50g mushrooms, finely sliced
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 650ml milk
- 250g strong cheddar, grated
- 100g strong blue cheese (e.g. Danish blue), cubed
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g fresh parmesan, grated
- 25g white breadcrumbs
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, season well with salt and add the macaroni. Cook according to packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- While the macaroni is cooking, fry the onion, mushrooms and pancetta in 10g of the butter until golden.
- In another saucepan melt the butter. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the flour to form a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and add a generous amount of black pepper to the sauce, along with 200g of the cheddar. Season with salt if necessary.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. You can refresh the pasta with boiling water from the kettle if it has gone cold or is stuck together, but ensure that you drain it well. Stir through the pancetta, onion, mushrooms, most of the parsley and the cubes of blue cheese and pour this mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the breadcrumbs, the reserved parsley, the reserved cheddar and the parmesan. Place under a medium grill for 3-4 minutes until bubbling and golden. If cooking from cold, bake for 25-30 mins at 220C/fan 200 C/gas 7 before grilling.