Pico de Gallo with Feta
Member recipe by kingaling28
A great little twist on greek salad, which can be eaten at lunch or as a side dish to meat, especially lamb.
- Half a cucumber
- 2 Vine-Ripened tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 5 spring onions
- 1 green chilli
- 100 grams of feta cheese
- Balsamic reduction, to taste
- 35g of rocket, washed
- 3 sprigs of mint, leaves only
- 3 sprigs of coriander, leaves only
- 60ml of white wine vinegar
- 100ml of olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- Finely dice the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion. Trim the spring onions and cut into scallions. De-seed and finely chop the green chilli.
- Next, roughly chop the coriander and mint. It is a good idea to clap the mint in your hands first, this breaks the capilliaries in the leaves and releases the flavour better.
- Crumble the feta cheese and place in a mixing bowl with the above ingredients and add the rocket, olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt/pepper.
- Toss the salad together for at least 30 seconds until well mixed and dressing has covered the ingredients.
- Serve with the balsamic reduction drizzled over to taste.
- If you want to make your own balsamic reduction, place equal amounts of caster sugar and balsamic vinegar in a heavy bottomed pan and leave on low heat for 4-6 hours until the liquid coats the back of spoon.