Member recipe by cafafwhisp
Simple Dahl, very flavoursome and people love it. Can accompany any other curry as a side, especially good for dinner parties.
- 250-300g Red Lentils
- Bulb of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 beef tomatoes or tin of plum tomatoes (drained)
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Large Knob of Butter
- Rinse lentils in sieve, put in pan of cold water and bring to boil. Very important to skim off any residue that comes to the surface, as this impairs flavour.
- Chop all the cloves of garlic from your bulb. Also chop tomatoes into chunks, or open tin (drain) ready to use.
- Place butter in frying pan and melt. Add all your spices and allow to infuse with butter. When they are creating a strong smell and have heated a little, add chopped tomatoes or tinned plum tomatoes.
- Once all tomatoes are coated in spices remove from heat.
- Add all ingredients to cooked lentils and stir through. Allow to simmer for half and hour to an hour. And serve. Can be stored in fridge and used the next day, I find this really helps all the flavours come through.