Chicken in Sweet Potato Sauce
Member recipe by bugged
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 large onion (chopped large)
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped small)
- 175ml of dry white wine
- 300ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 large sweet potato cut into cubes
- Handful of fresh basil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato purÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ©e
- 1 tin of butter beans
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan fry the chicken thighs skin side down until the skin has become crisp. Turn them over and brown the other side. Remove them from the pan and turn the heat down.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry untill they have taken on some colour. Add the chopped garlic and fry gently. Return the chicken to the pan and pour in the white wine.
- Cook the wine down until it has reduced by half and then add the water and stock cube. Add the diced sweet potato, basil, lemon juice and tomato purÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ©e. Give it a good mix so everything is submerged (you may need to add more water) and put the lid on and cook for about 40 minutes to an hour, stirring regularly.
- You need to cook it so that the sweet potato breaks up and mixes with the stock. You can help it along by gently mashing it with a wooden spoon. When it's all soft add the tin of butter beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and butter.