Member recipe by giarora
A classic indian dessert made of grated carrots and condensed milk, garnished with dried fruits.
- 1kg Carrots, grated
- 1 ltr milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
- 200g sweetened condensed milk (look out for brand Nestle in supermarkets)
- 2-3 tsp regular white sugar
- Handful dried fruits (Any). I used cashews, almonds, green raisins, pistachios.
- 1-2 tsp melted butter (optional)
- Soak green raisins and almonds. Split cashews and pistachios into half. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan, preferably non-stick. Add grated carrots and let the water of the carrots dry on medium flame/heat. Add sugar into this. Keep stirring occasionally. Drying process would take roughly about 20 minutes.
- Add milk once the water in carrots is dried out mostly. Allow the milk to be absorbed. This would take about 15 minutes. Don't worry if you see white lumps of milk at this stage.
- Add condensed milk to this. Stir occasionally. Allow the milk to dry leaving some moisture. At this point add butter (optional). Stir lightly.
- Take the soaked almonds, peel them and cut them into long slices. Rinse the green raisins. Add raisins, cashews to the carrot halawa. Turn off the heat and garnish with almonds and some pistachios. Serve hot.