Member recipe by muthahuffa
A delicious and low fat lamb biryani that's got all the taste of your local curry house.
- 350g shoulder of lamb, diced
- 175g basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 300ml chicken stock
- 150g spinach
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp Patak's balti curry paste
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated and chopped
- Toasted flaked almonds to serve (optional)
- Heat excess oil from balti paste jar in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and chopped coriander stalks for 10 minutes. Add a tbsp of balti paste if the pan becomes dry.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric then add the lamb and remaining curry paste and cook until aromatic (4-5 minutes).
- Pour in the rice and stock then stir well. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the spinach a handful at a time and stir through, put the lid back on the pan and leave to steam undisturbed for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir well, mixing through half the coriander. To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds (if using).