Lemon syrup loaf
Member recipe by annabelroderick
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Slices
- For the cake:
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp milk
- For the syrup:
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (4 tbsp)
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 c . Butter a tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together butter,sugar,eggs and lemon zest. Beat well. Add flour and salt then gently fold together.
- Pour into loaf tin, bake for 45 mins or until golden.
- For the syrup: put the lemon juice and icing sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently so sugar dissolves.
- When the loaf is cooked, puncture with a skewer about 20 times and pour syrup, over loaf. Leave to soak then cut into slices and eat!