Lemon Cream Tart
Member recipe by fetchgirl
A sweet lemon and white chocolate tart served in a marzipan pastry makes the classic dessert to end your meal.
- For the pastry:
- 230g plain flour
- 115g butter
- 60g ground almonds
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, rind and juice
- 1 egg yolk
- Almond extract
- For the lemon cream:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 170g caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large lemons, unwaxed, juice and zest
- 200g white chocolate
- 375ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180'C. Put the flour, salt, sugar, almonds, lemon rind and butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the lemon juice with the egg yolk and a few drops of almond essence. Pour slowly into the breadcrumb mixture while pulsing. If the mixture does not come together, add a little water. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll the pastry and line a 9inch flan disk. Place baking paper in the flan and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10mins, then remove the beans and paper and bake for another 5mins. Do not overcook the pastry - it should be pale in colour.
- For the lemon cream, place all the ingredients, bar the double cream and white chocolate, in a pan. Heat over a medium flame, stirring constantly for approximately 7mins until the curd coats the back of the spoon.
- Put 2tsp of the curd in a separate bowl. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5mins.
- Melt 50g of the white chocolate and spread over the entire flan base. Place in the fridge until set.
- Chop the rest of the white chocolate into chunks and then add to the larger quantity of curd. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Leave to cool completely.
- Whip the double cream to a soft peak. Add the curd to the cream and mix gently to combine. Fill the cold pastry case with the mixture and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.