Member recipe by sebastien100
- 2 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, broken into small pieces
- 5 tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- 8 tbsp. ice water
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 8 medium sized apples (a medium apple = about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- Measure the flour, sugar and salt togetherl. Stir to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and shortening to the bowl. Cut them in with a pastry cutter or knife. Don't over mix them.
- Add the ice water. Mix until the dough holds together (add a bit more water, if necessary).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it together, then divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and chill for at least half an hour.
- Roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface until you have a circle that's about 12 inches in diameter.
- Put the circle in a 9" pie plate, trimming any extra dough from the edges with a sharp knife (parents only). Return it to the refrigerator until you are ready to make the pie.
- # Add filling (see below) # Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges together. cut a couple slits in the top.
- # Heat oven to 425 degrees. # Peel, core and slice the apples. Try to keep the size of the slices even. # Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. # Stir in apples.
- * Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. * Dot with margarine. * Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut slits in the top. * OPTIONAL: Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent too much browning. o Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. * Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.