Lemon Barley Cake
Member recipe by mrsannachild
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Cakes
A soft moist cake, stodgy with barley and yet refreshing because of the lemon. Goes well with Vanilla ice cream, clotted cream, or custard.
- 100g Pearl Barley
- 75g Treacle
- 30g Brown Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 275ml Milk
- 275g Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
- 75g Ground Almonds
- 1/2 stp Ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Natural Lemon Flavour or Lemon Oil (suitable for eating)
- Boil the barley as per your cooking instructions, usually about 1 hour simmering, drain and rinse to stop it cooking any further.
- Preheat oven to 180C. In a bowl put all the dry ingrediants; flour, ginger, bicarb, and almonds.
- Melt the butter, sugar and treacle. Remove from heat and stir in the milk, and gradually the beaten egg.
- Pour the liquid into the dry mixture and stir well. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and natural flavouring.
- Pour into two greased and lined 23cm sq baking tins, or similar sized round tins. Bake for around 1 hour, until a knife comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice off any crusty edges as the pearl barley gets quite hard on the edges. Try it with with vanilla ice cream, clotted cream, or custard.