Brandy Snap Basket
Member recipe by h3l3nb
- 1/4 cup/50g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup/55g caster sugar
- 1/4 cup/60g golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup/55g plain flour
- Place the butter, caster sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan and place it over a moderate heat. Stir it regularly with a wooden spoon until the butter and golden syrup have melted and the sugar has dissolved. Leave it to simmer gently for a couple of minutes then remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla essence, ground ginger, brandy and lemon zest, and then gradually mix in the flour until well incorporated. Set the mixture aside for 15 minutes to cool and become firmer.
- Preheat an oven to 180ÃÂÃÂ°C. Place large spoonfuls of the mixture onto anon stick or well butter biscuit tray so that you have at least 6, allow plenty of room between each one as they will spread out. With lightly buttered fingers spread the mixture into circles around 5 cm wide. Place the tray in a preheated oven and leave them to cook for 10-15 minutes. You will need to cook them regularly as they will easily burn. The brandy snaps our ready when they have spread out and are a rich golden brown. Remove them from he oven and allow them to cool for 1 minute.
- Place 6 dariole, ramekins or small teacups upside down on a work surface. Carefully remove the brandy snaps from the tray (they should be pliable if they aren't return them to the oven for a few minutes), place them on the upturned dariole, ramekin or cup and mould them around it to shape as a basket. Set them aside to harden.
- When they are set remove them from the mould and store them in a air tight container until ready to use.