"Spaetzle" German Egg Noodles
Member recipe by zetallgerman
Spaetzle are a typical dish of the German state of Schwaben. They are easy to make, wonderfully filling and go exceptionally well with cheese (baked in a casserole), roast pork or simply sprinkled with some crispy fried onions.
- 500g plain flour (sieved)
- 4 eggs (preferably free-range)
- 2 tsp table salt
- Put the flour and salt into a large bowl. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil
- Add the eggs, and start mixing with a wooden spoon, gradually adding water as you go.
- When you have reached a thick consistency (dough should only slowly fall off the spoon) "beat" the dough hard until it forms some bubbles and is well blended.
- Make the Spaetzle by either using a special press (looks like a potato ricer with larger holes) or by scraping small parts of dough off a chopping board with a knife. Let each noodle drop into the boiling water (don't overcrowd the pot).
- Once they rise to the surface they are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and enjoy!