Spring Vegetable Soup
Member recipe by salamandercookshop
My mind generally goes to soup in the cold winter months, with the possible exception of Gazpacho and Vichyssoise, but this Spring Vegetable Soup bridges that gap wonderfully using fresh early spring vegetables and herbs in a healthy and delicious combination.
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small leeks sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 100g sugar snap peas, or frozen peas
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley
- Small bunch of chervil (optional)
- 3 lovage leaves or a handful of sorrel leaves chopped
- 300g spinach
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chive flowers (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot and add the leek, potato and celery and sweat for about 5 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally to make sure they donât stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the peas, herbs and spinach with 200ml of the stock and boil until the spinach has completely wilted. Add the rest of the stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
- Let the soup cool a little and then blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
- Gently reheat and add the crÃ¨me fraiche before serving.
- If you have any chive flowers in your garden this soup looks wonderful garnished with them, and it adds a great punch of chive flavour!