Member recipe by roobarb100
- 1 cup (200g) couscouc
- 1 cup (150g) dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 50g dried sour cherries*
- 50g craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1/2 long red chilli, seeds, removed, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp mixed space or ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts (such as pine nuts, blanced almonds and pistachios)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on a angle
- 1/2 cucumber, seeds removed, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/3 firnly packed cup mint, chopped
- 1/2 firmly packed cup flat leaf parsley or basil, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of rocket, leaves chopped
- Place the couscous in a large bowl with the dried fruit, chilli, orange and lemon zest and ground spice.
- Combine orange and lemon juice in a jug with vinegar, oils and enough boiling water to make up 1 cup (250ml), stirring well. Pour over couscous, then season. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, sealing the edges, then leave for 5 minutes. As the couscous soaks up the hot liquid, it will soak up all the strong aromatic flavours. Remove the wrap and fluff up couscous with a fork to separate the grains.
- Add the nuts, sesame seeds, spring onion, cucumber, herbs and rocket, then stir with a fork to combine. Check seasoning, then add more olive oil, lemon juice or salt and pepper, if necessary.
- * Dried sour cherries are available from gourmet food shops.