Black cherry trifle
Member recipe by jahane
A naughty but delicious alternative to the more traditional custard based kind
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 standard sized jar cherry jam
- 600ml double cream
- 250g good quality milk/dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 8 "American-style" sweet waffles
- 8 tbsp sweet sherry
- For the topping
- 30g dark chocolate, grated
- Whisk the cream until relatively thick and stiff. Separate into two halves and place in separate bowls.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, stirring occasionally. Once smooth, remove from the heat and fold through one of the bowls of whipped cream, until well mixed.
- Mix the cherry pie filling and the cherry jam together in a bowl. Spoon into either 10 individual glasses for the trifle or add to the bottom of a large trifle bowl.
- Arrange two layers of the waffles on top of the cherries (breaking up as necessary to fit the bowl(s)) and moisten these evenly with the sherry. Spoon the chocolate cream on top of this and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and, using a spatula, spread the remaining whipped cream on top of the chocolate cream. Sprinkle the grated chocolate over the top and return to the fridge for a further 45 minutes to set.