Member recipe by hayleym09
Agreat recipe for a side dish or add chicken for a delicious main meal!
- 1 Large red onion-roughly chopped
- 1 small-medium aubergine-diced
- 1 medium courgette-sliced
- 7-8 closed cup mushrooms-sliced
- 3-4 good quality tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2-3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 jar of tomato frito or passata
- 1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli in oil (can be bought in most supermarkets from the herbs and spices section)
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs (or fresh)
- Ground black pepper and a pinch of salt for seasoning
- Olive oil
- First chop up all the vegetables and place in a heavy bottomed large saucepan, add olive oil, and brown off the veg for about 5 minutes.
- Add the jar of frito/passata and the tin of tomatoes, herbs, chilli, pepper and salt, stir in well, put on a high heat for 10 minutes and then turn down to a medium heat for the rest of the time (about 1 hour 45 minutes)
- When ready, the sauce will have the consistency of tomato soup and all the veg will be very tender. Add more black pepper if required, and if it needs thickening, add a good quality tomato puree.
- I eat this either on it's own or with some grilled seasoned chicken. It is also delicious cold, and served as a starter with some grilled feta cheese on top! Enjjoy!