Member recipe by coconnell63
- For the Iced Lemon Cream
- 2 large unwaxed juicy lemons
- 3 eggs large (Preferably free range) separated
- 125g caster sugar
- 284ml fresh double cream
- 150ml fresh single cream
- For the Meringues
- 2 egg whiles
- 125g golden caster sugar (this gives the meringues a lovely colour)
- You will need
- 1.1 pudding basin and lid (plastic is best) for freezing
- 2 baking trays
- Non stick baking paper/parchment
- Finely grate the rind and squeeze the juice from the lemons
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff then add the caster sugar a spoonfuly at a time, whisking well after each addition until the mixture is very thick
- Whisk both the double and single creams together until softly stiff. Place aside 1/3 of this cream. Then combine the remaining 2/3 with the egg yolks and mix well together. Then fold it evenly and smoothly into the whisked whites with the lemon rind and juice
- Turn the mixture into ot 1.1 litre pudding basin, cover and freeze until firm.
- To make the meringues, preheat the oven 250F Gas 1/2 . Line a 2 baking trays with non stick paper
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff then gradually add the caster sugar, whisking very well after each addition of sugar. Pipe or spoon blobs of mixture about the size of an egg cup on to the lined baking sheet. Bake for about 2 hours or until they are dry and crisp. Carefully remove from baking tray and let them cool on a wire tray.
- Take the iced lemon cream from the freezer and dip the pudding basing in and out of hot water to help it from the bowl. Run a knife round the edge and turn the lemon cream out on to a serving plate. If the surface seems at all sticky return the cream to the freezer for another 30 mins or until firm again.
- Spread the reserved cream over the surface of the lemon cream and cover with the meringues. Leave the bomb for about 30 mins before servining as this will mean that the centre will be soft enough to slice.