Points to remember
- Oil a baking sheet and palette knife.
- Place caster sugar in a dry frying pan.
- Heat over a high heat to dissolve the sugar. Try not to stir the sugar just tilt the pan carefully to move it around.
- Allow the mixture to dissolve completely and turn to a deep caramel, swirling the pan as you go.
- If making a brittle, add nuts and swirl them around in the pan to coat them.
- Tip the caramel/brittle out onto the prepared baking tray.
- Brittle can be broken into shards or blitzed into a dust to sprinkle over desserts.
- To clean a caramel pan, simmer water in it until all the caramel has dissolved then wash as normal.
Sugar syrups are extremely hot, and can remain hot once finished, for a long period of time. Be very careful when making them and don't attempt to handle the finished caramel until completely cold. Do not try to taste molten caramel or dip your fingers into it. Should any hot caramel come into contact with the skin, run under cold water immediately.