Points to remember
- Rub the butter into the flour in a large bowl using the tips of your fingers.
- Add the vanilla extract, egg yolks and sugar and mix to a dough with your hands.
- Bring the dough together with your hands.
- If you have a food processor, you can tip in the flour, add the chopped butter and pulse until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, vanilla and egg yolks and pulse again until it comes together in a dough.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, forming a sausage shape. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160˚C.Cut the dough into 5 mm thick slices, arrange them on greased baking sheets, spacing the biscuits so they have room to spread a little as they cook.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the biscuits are just turning golden around the edges.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust generously with icing sugar.
- The biscuits will keep fresh for up to one week stored in an airtight tin.
This video uses our Vanilla shortbread dough recipe to make Sugar-dusted vanilla thins. You can use the same dough to make our Lemon star biscuits. All three recipes are below. This is one method of making biscuits - you can adapt it to make your own flavours.
Freezing the dough
Once you have formed the dough into a sausage shape, you can freeze it for up to 6 weeks. To use, remove from the freezer, thaw for one hour or until soft enough to slice into biscuits.