Cheat's Spanish omelette
Watch as we show you how to make a Spanish omelette. Our 2-ingredient cheat's version breaks with tradition and uses a secret ingredient instead of sliced potato – salted crisps.
Our cheat's Spanish omelette shows you a novel way of making this famous egg dish. It uses traditional eggs along with our own twist – salted crisps. For a more classic version, see our Spanish tortilla recipe.
How to make a basic Spanish omelette:
- Add 8 eggs into a bowl, making sure to crack them first on a flat surface rather than the side of the bowl. Whisk until combined then season with salt and pepper
- Add 3 small bags of ready salted crisps (about 75g) and fold them into the egg mixture
- Put a non-stick pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Heat until starting to split
- Add the egg and crisp mixture to the pan and as it cooks, bring edges into middle with a spatula and move around until it is almost cooked through
- Place a plate and cloth over the pan. Flip and the tortilla should come out onto the plate
- Push back into the pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Keep tucking it in to get the round tortilla shape. Cover and flip once again onto a plate
These videos are part of a home kitchen series run by BBC Good Food, encouraging the nation to stay home and get cooking.