Balsamic glazed Roast Gammon
Member recipe by email@example.com
Serve this sweet glazed gammon joint with eating apples at a family meal
- 2 kilos unsmoked English Gammon joint
- 1 litre carton apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 x 225 ml bottle balsamic glaze.
- 6 small eating apples cored and halved.
- Place joint in large lidded pan. Pour over the apple juice and add cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 70 minutes, turning once.
- Reheat oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4, fan 150. Drain Gammon and reserve juices, then place meat on chopping board. Remove string and cut away the fat with a small sharp knife. Lightly score the fat with a cross pattern. Place the balsamic glaze on a bowl and stir on 3 tbsp of the reserve liquor.
- Place the Gammon on a roasting tin with the apple halves around the meat. Spoon the glaze over the gammon and the apples and cook for 5 minutes, brushing the joint occasionally with the glaze and turning the apple once.
- Remove the gammon from the oven and stand for 10 minutes. Place the apples on a serving plate, cover with foil and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir 150 ml. of the reserve liquor onto the juices in the tin. Pour into a small saucepan and boil for 2-3 minutes until bubbling. Serve the gammon with the roast apples, new potatoes, broccoli and garden peas, drizzled with the sauce.
- Tip: Serve leftover gammon with jacket potatoes and green salad, or oven chips and poached eggs .