'Dongpo' Braised Pork Belly
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
An authentic Chinese recipe that makes the perfect sweet and sour sticky pork.
- 4 slices of pork belly, weighing about 400g
- One thumb sized chunk of ginger, sliced
- 3 star anise
4 spring onion scallions, cut into long strips, reserving some for decoration
- 4 spring onion scallions, cut into long strips, reserving some for decoration
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of Chinese Shao Xin yellow wine
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- 8 teaspoons of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- STEP 1Boil some water in a wok, enough to just cover the pork. Put the meat in whole, and simmer for 20 minutes. As soon as the time is up, lift the pork out of the wok and immerse into ice cold water; this will stop the meat from cooking any further. Cut the pork into large chunks.
- STEP 2Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large deep saucepan. When it is hot, add the spring onion, ginger and star anise. Stir fry for about 2 minutes on high heat (be careful that they do not burn).
- STEP 3Add the pork, and the rest of the ingredients for the sauce. Stir fry on high for 2 minutes, then turn down the heat to a simmer, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- STEP 4Serve the pork, and pour the sauce from the pan over it. Decorate with curls of spring onion.