Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Adapted from Indian: A Culinary Journey of Discovery, by Mridula Baljekar, this recipe serves 4
- 14 oz white button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeÃÂ±o pepper, finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder dish)
- 2 tsp minced garlic or garlic puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp minced fresh chives, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh chives, for garnish
- STEP 1Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel, trim the bottom of the stems, and slice into thick slices.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeÃÂ±o, stirring for 5-6 minutes, until the onion is softened but not brown. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, and chile powder, and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, salt and tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- STEP 3Sprinkle the water evenly over the mushrooms and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. The sauce should have thickened, but if it appears runny, cook uncovered for 3-4 more minutes to achieve a nice consistency.
- STEP 4Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle the chives on top, and serve hot.