Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Simple & Easy Apple Crumble
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Great to make on a rainy day, this apple crumble always goes down well with everybody.
- 3-4 Bramley cooking apples
- 100g granulated sugar
- 150g plain flour (also works well with gluten-free flour)
- 75g salted butter, softened
- STEP 1If you're planning to cook it straight after preparing, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. If you want, however, you can make the crumble beforehand, and cook it later.
- STEP 2First, you need to prepare the apples. Half fill a large saucepan with water, and peel, core and chop the apples into 1-2cm chunks. Place them in the saucepan to stop them from ruining.
- STEP 3Drain all of the water from the saucepan, add another 2 tbsp of water and 50g of the sugar, and place on a medium heat on the hob. Stew until the apples become mushy. Once mushy, put the apples into an ovenproof dish.
- STEP 4Place the flour and the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and use your hands to mix everything together until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs. Pour this evenly on top of the stewed apple.
- STEP 5If you are making the crumble in advance, cover it with cling film and allow to cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge. When ready to cook, place the crumble in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Don't worry if the crumble doesn't looked cooked properly, it most likely is! Eat hot from the oven.