Sweet Beef Curry
Member recipe by sweetunique
- Stage 1:
- * 1 kg Round (or chuck or topside) steak
- * 3 tablespoons of oil (or 3 tablespoons of melted Ghee)
- Stage 2:
- * 1 onion (chopped)
- * 1 apple (peeled and chopped)
- * ÃÂ¼ cup chopped raisins
- * 1ÃÂ½ cups (250g) chopped dates
- * 2 teaspoons curry powder
- * 1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
- * 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- * 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- * 2 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce
- * 1 tablespoon fruit chutney
- * 1 tablespoon of sugar (preferrably brown or raw)
- * 2 cups of beef stock
- Stage 3:
- * 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- * 2 tablespoons of water
- * 2 cups of cooked (steamed) rice
- Dice the steak into cubes (the thickness of your steak will govern the size of the cubes, but if possible donÃ¢ÂÂt exceed ÃÂ¾-inch cubes).
- Brown the meat in the pan with the oil.
- Add the stage two ingredients, and bring to the boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer covered for 1ÃÂ½ hours or until the meat is tender (i.e. falls apart).
- Steam your rice closer to the end of the cooking time. (2 cups rice, 3 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, microwave for 14 mins).
- Stir in the blended cornflour and water (stage 3 ingredients) and keep stirring over medium heat until the mixture bubbles (not quite boiling but close) and thickens.
- Serve curry on bed of rice.
- I always do this in the pressure cooker which produces a far superior result as far as IÃ¢ÂÂm concerned, however if planning to do it on the stovetop you may need more than the 1.5 hours specified, and beware of the liquid levels so as to prevent sticking.