Herman friendship cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 10 days to keep herman alive!
- Makes Cake
You have to keep Herman alive for 10 days then bake him and share with friends.
- STARTER BATCH
- 5oz plain flour
- 8oz castor sugar
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- Half a pint of warm milk
- 2 fl oz lukewarm water
- MAIN CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup of sugar (8oz or 225g)
- 2 cups plain flour (10oz or 300g)
- half tsp (teaspoon) salt
- 2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil (5.3oz or 160ml)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cooking apples cut into chunks
- 1 cup raisins (7oz or 200g)
- 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
If you prefer to measure then these are the equivalent measures:
- 1 x cup of flour = 5oz (150g)
- 1 x cup of sugar = 8oz (225g)
- 1 x cup of brown sugar = 6oz (175g)
- 1 x cup of raisins = 7oz (200g)
- STEP 1This is an Amish tradition. His name is Hermann and he is made for friendship. You can make the starter batch then keep him alive until he is ready to share, making a delicious cake with your part of him.
- STEP 2What to do:
- STEP 31. Dissolve the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes and stir.
- STEP 42. Add the flour and sugar then mix thoroughly.
- STEP 53. Slowly stir in the warm milk.
- STEP 64. Cover the bowl in a clean cloth.
- STEP 75. Leave in a cool dry place for 24 hours
- STEP 86. Now proceed from day one of the 10 day cycle.
- STEP 9I am a sourdough cake. I'm supposed to sit on your worktop for 10 days without a lid on.
- STEP 10You CANNOT put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.
- STEP 11Day1: Put me in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel.
- STEP 12Day 2: Stir well
- STEP 13Day 3: Stir well
- STEP 14Day 4: Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well.
- STEP 15Day 5: Stir well
- STEP 16Day 6: Stir well
- STEP 17Day 7: Stir well
- STEP 18Day 8: Stir well
- STEP 19Day 9: Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to
- STEP 20friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the fourth portion.
- STEP 21Day 10: Now you are ready to make the cake. Stir well and add the main cake ingredients.
- STEP 22Mix everything together and put into a large greased baking tin. Sprinkle with a quarter of a
- STEP 23cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup of melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 170 to
- STEP 24180C. You may need to cover in tin foil and bake for a further 20 minutes to make sure your Herman is done in the middle.
- STEP 25Once you have made this recipie why not start again and experiment with other flavours such as chocolate and banana.
- STEP 26LETS SEE HOW FAR HERMAN CAN TRAVEL AS HE IS SHARED BETWEEN FRIENDS