Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Member recipe by ritagior
This recipe is easy and healthy, and it can easily be halved or doubled.
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- Optional:1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring the milk, yogurt, heavy cream (if using), vinegar, and salt to a boil. Very gently boil for one to two minutes, until the milk is curdled.
- Meanwhile, line a strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth and set it over a deep bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture into the strainer and let drain for 15 minutes. Gather the cheesecloth around the curds and squeeze gently to extract any excess liquid.
- Storage: Homemade ricotta is best served slightly warm, although it can be refrigerated for up to three days, if desired. Makes 2 cups.