Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Golden Syrup Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Which includes 10 minutes cooling time for the melted ingredients
- Serves 16
A rich, moist cake drenched with the wonderful flavour of golden syrup
- 225g Butter
- 225g Sugar (light muscovado adds depth but caster is fine)
- 450g Golden Syrup
- 450g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 300 ml milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 30cm x 23cm x 4cm baking tin or foil tray bake
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 140C/fan (or 160/C - gas mark 3). Grease the tin and line the base with baking paper leaving a little to cover the bottom corners and sides. Press into place.
- STEP 2Place butter, syrup and sugar into a large pan and heat gently until the ingredients are just melted together, stirring occassionally. Leave to cool for 10 minutes (it helps if you place the pan away from the hob during this time since it will remain warm).
- STEP 3Beat the eggs with the milk. Add the flour and milk/egg mixture to the cooled syrup mixture in the pan and beat steadily with a wooden spoon until all the lumps have gone. This may take a few minutes so you will need a little patience. Pour the mixture into the tin.
- STEP 4Bake for around 50 minutes. The cake will be well risen and springy, but still very moist. After a few minutes cooling time, pierce the cake all over with a skewer and spoon the extra golden syrup over the top. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- STEP 5This cake keeps for a week and only improves with time! A real treat and a cake you will be asked to make again and again.