Corned Beef Hash (Cheap meal)
Member recipe by oo00ookellyoo00oo
This is such a cheap meal and goes down a treat with my nephews, and my fiance has it as a cold lunch at work. Goes very far. Just give it a try!
- 400g Potatoes cooked and thoroughly mashed.
- 1 Tin Corned Beef
- 1 Tin Heinz Baked Beans
- 1 Medium sized Onion finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup (Optional) or Marmite!!!
- Knob of butter
- Cheese grated
- You will need the oven at 180C and a medium sized porcelain/glass dish.
- Cook your potatoes with a pinch of salt and once cooked mash well. If for children remember no lumps!!! I leave the skins on, not in laziness (Honest). Don't underestimate the skins. When mashed mix in some butter, seasoning and a splash of milk.
- Fry the finely chopped onion on a medium heat with the butter, fry for about 5 minutes or when they are turning a golden colour and softening. Meanwhile, open the corned beef tin. I don't get on well with corned beef tins, my key always snaps off!! Chop the corned beef roughly and crumble into the dish. When the onion is ready pour over the top of the corned beef.
- Then pour the tin of baked beans over the top, a squirt of marmite or ketchup or even both and mix thoroughly. Once evenly mixed give a quick flatten with the back of your spoon and dollop the mash potato on top! with a fork spread the potato and add texture, presentation is not important! The grate a generous portion of cheese on top, we are a marmite mad family (well I am) so we tend to streak a small amount on top of the cheese at this point!
- Bake on the middle shelf for roughly half an hour until the top has started to crisp. Serve with more baked beans, or some beetroot or a salad. Or wait until it is cold and just take it as a packed lunch! It is so easy that you can make it with the kids!