Pasta with Caramelized Onions
Member recipe by arhg85
This recipe it's actually very simple and will make a great anniversary dinner.
- 250g balsamic fetucini (HINT: if you can't find this type of pasta, use plain fetuccini but add balsamic vinegar to the water where you boil the pasta)
- About 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 jalapenio, sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- A good quality red wine, I recommend a strongish wine(amount to taste)
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- Thyme, basil and salt to taste
- Grated parmesan to garnish
- Boil pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, on a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil and saute the onion with the jalapenioo for a couple of mins. Add sugar, a good splash of wine (I use about 1/4 cup), vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Reduce heat and let all the ingredients simmer for about 7 mins, until all the alcohol from the wine has evaporated (this is why it's important to use a good wine) and the sugar has melted; you want that onion to be dark and sticky.
- Add the cooked pasta to the caramelized onion, mix well and toss in the thyme and basil. Garnish with grated parmesan.