Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Caribbean Mince Pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus cooling time until you can't resist trying one!
- More effort
- Makes Pies
Mince pies with a tropical twist!
For the pastry:
- 8oz butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1lb all purpose flour
- 2oz icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
For the mincemeat:
- 3oz bramley apples, cored and chopped small
- 1 small banana, peeled and mashed
- 4 oz mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz dried pineapple, diced
- 1 oz shredded suet (vegetarian suet will work fine)
- 2 oz soft dark brown sugar
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk (optional)
- 1 level teaspoon of mixed ground spice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 small handfull whole almonds, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- A little milk/beaten egg
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 200 C (fan ovens 180) or gas mark 6
- STEP 2For the pastry:
- STEP 3Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the butter and rub with your fingertips until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- STEP 4Mix in the icing sugar.
- STEP 5Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and about a tablespoon of cold water to make a soft dough. Knead gently until smooth and no longer sticky.
- STEP 6ALTERNATIVE: Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until it looks like dough!
- STEP 7Chill the pastry dough while you are making the mincemeat
- STEP 8For the mincemeat:
- STEP 9Put all the ingredients apart from the rum into a saucepan.
- STEP 10Cook on a low heat, mixing frequently, until everything is soft and thoroughly combined
- STEP 11Remove the pan from the heat allow the mixture to cool, stirring occasionally
- STEP 12Once cold, mix thoroughly (optional: stir in the rum at this point)
- STEP 13Construction: you will need a round pastry cutter and a bun tin:
- STEP 141.Roll out your pastry to about 3mm (eighth of an inch) thickness
- STEP 152.Cut one large circle for the base, and a smaller one for the lid
- STEP 163.Place the base in a bun tin and loosely fill with the mincemeat mixture
- STEP 174.Put the lid on top and pinch around the edge to join it to the base
- STEP 185.Optional: brush the lid with milk or a beaten egg to glaze
- STEP 196.Repeat until all your pastry and mincemeat is used up!
- STEP 20Bake for around 20 minutes until golden, remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before placing onto a wire rack. Cool and dust with icing sugar before serving!