Thai Red Prawn Curry
Member recipe by goosepa
- 250g raw grey prawns, shells removed & deveined
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 green chilli (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped/grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Spices: 2 tsp ground turmeric, 12 black peppercorns, 3 cloves, 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 fresh lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice but do use fresh)
- Fry the onion, ginger, chillies until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Grind the spices in a pestle & mortar and add to the pan. Cook for a minute or so, stirring all the time to temper the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and the sugar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Open the tin of coconut milk. If it has split into thin mlik and coconut cream, pour off the thin milk and add the thick coconut cream to the pan. If your milk is well mixed then add half the tin to the pan. It will still be very good but I prefer to add the thick coconut cream over the thinner milk.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook until pink. It will only take a few minutes. Take care not to over cook them.
- Add the coriander and 1tbsp fresh lemon juice to lift the flavour. Season. Serve immediately.