Devonshire Apple Traybake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 1 1/4 hours cooking time.
- Serves 12
This cake is delicious served warm with cream or fromage frais.
- 450g cooking apples
- Juice og 1/2 lemon
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 350g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp almond essence
- 225g butter, melted
- A generous scattering of shredded, flaked or chopped almonds
- Caster sugar, to sprinkle
- STEP 1Pre-heat the oven to 180'C/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line a 12 x 9inch (30x23cm) roasting tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- STEP 2Peel, core and thinly slice the apples and squeeze the lemon juice over them.
- STEP 3Measure the flour, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl. Beat the eggs together with the almond essence and stir into the flour with the melted butter. Mix well, then spread half this mixture into the tin. Arrange the apples over the top of the cake mixture. Carefully top with the rest of the mixture; don't worry if the apples show through a little. Sprinkle over the almonds.
- STEP 4Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until the cake is golden, firm to the touch and slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool for 15 minutes and then turn out and remove the paper. Sprinkle over the caster sugar and serve warm with cream or fromage frais.