Tasty Sausage Casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Tomato based sausage casserole, a healthy(ish!) cheap family meal.
- 8 Good quality pork sausages, snipped/sliced into bite size
- pieces (about 6 pieces per sausage)
- Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- handful chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sundried tomatoes
- Small glass red wine
- jar of passata
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- handful chopped basil
- STEP 1Gently fry the sausage in a large pan (a wok is good) in the olive oil until cooked through and golden brown.
- STEP 2Remove sausage and keep to one side. Now, in the same pan fry the onions and garlic untill softened. After 5 mins or so add the peppers, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes, cook for a further few mins then return the sausages to the pan.
- STEP 3turn the heat up high, add the red wine and cook for a few mins to reduce slightly.
- STEP 4Add the passata, sugar, basil and paprika and simmer for half an hour. (or as long as you want really the longer its left the better the taste its amazing reheated the next day!)
- STEP 5Season to taste if liked and serve with fluffy rice, crusty bread or with pasta. Try with any other veg in you like.