Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- At least 6 hours chilling time
- More effort
- Makes Batch
this is a fudge but a melt in the mouth childhood favourite of mine that my mum used to make
- Crumbly Fudge Recipe Ingredients
- 1 can condensed milk (392g)
- 500g Sugar
- 120ml water
- 4tbsp butter
- 2tsp Vanilla essence
- STEP 1Mix sugar, water, butter and condensed milk together in a somewhat tall pot (the mixture rises quickly) and bring to a gentle boil. While the fudge is boiling, stir continously with a wooden spoon for about half an hour, to ensure no sugar burns to the bottom of the pot.
- STEP 2Nearing the half-hour mark, the fudge should then have become greatly reduced in quantity, thick, sticky, and most importantly, should have the typical darker "brown" colour of fudge (but dark muddy brown means it's turned into toffee). It's better to leave it on longer if unsure, than to take it off the boil prematurely.
- STEP 3Once it looks ready, take off the boil, add the Vanilla Essence, and beat thoroughly for a minute, then pour mixture into a greased baking tray and allow to cool.
- STEP 4for at least 6 hours.
- STEP 5Cut into squares once cooled properly (could take up to 6 hours). The result should be a fudge that is solid, but crumbly around the edges when you cut it (as opposed to the soft and chewy Nougat variety). It should also have a grainy texture. It may take a few attempts to perfect this recipe in a way you enjoy it the most; also note that if your mixture turns into toffee or fails completely, it's best to try again another day with new ingredients as failures often happen for no discernable reason.