Walnut seed loaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus rising
- Cuts into 12 thick slices
- 100g cornflour
- 300g gluten-free brown bread flour (we used Doves Farm)
- 2 tbsp soya flour
- 85g potato starch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 7g sachet easy-bake dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 450ml milk , warmed to hand temperature
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil , plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100g mixed seed (we used linseeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds)
- 50g walnut , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Mix the flours, potato starch, xanthan gum, yeast, sugar and 1½ tsp salt in a large bowl. Mix together the milk, oil and vinegar in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough comes together. Cover loosely with oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hr.
- STEP 2
Knead in most of the seeds and walnuts. Shape into a large round – oiled hands will help. Roll the round in the remaining seeds and nuts, then lift onto a baking tray. Loosely cover again with oiled cling film and leave for 1 hr more.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Bake the bread for 15 mins, then reduce oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and continue baking for 30 mins until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Leave on a wire rack to cool, wrapped in a clean tea towel – this will help to keep the loaf soft.