- 2 garlic cloves
- thumb-sized piece ginger, sliced, plus a few slices cut into fine matchsticks to serve (optional)
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- 1½ tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp neri goma (white sesame paste) or tahini
- 15g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1l good-quality vegan stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
An Asian condiment and ingredient that comes in a variety of of varieties ranging from light to…
- 200g firm tofu, cut into chunky cubes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp veg or sunflower oil
Sunflower oil is made from pressing sunflower seeds and extracting the oil. It's usually…
- 100g (2 x nests) ramen or rice noodles
- 1 head pak choi, quartered
This member of the cabbage family has a number of different names, including…
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced, white and green parts kept separate
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 25g ready-to-eat beansprouts
The two most common beansprouts are the green-capped mung bean…
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- sesame oil, sriracha, chopped coriander, crushed peanuts, crumbled sheets of nori or dried chilli threads (silgochu), to serve (optional)
Crush the garlic with the back of a big knife, then put it in a saucepan with the ginger, miso, neri goma, mushrooms, stock and soy. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and bubble for 5 mins until the ginger is soft. Strain into a clean pan and discard everything left in the strainer.
Meanwhile, cook the tofu. Toss it in the cornflour and heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry for a few mins on each side, being careful as you turn it that it doesn’t fall apart. Cook the noodles for 1 min less than pack instructions, so they retain a little bite. Drain and leave in the pan with a little cooking water so they don’t stick together.
Add the pak choi and whites of the spring onions to the broth and gently reheat for 1-2 mins until the greens have just wilted.
Divide the noodles between two deep bowls, ladle over the broth and veg. Top with the tofu, beansprouts, carrot and ginger matchsticks, green parts of the spring onions and a drizzle of sesame oil, plus the other toppings, if you like.